01 February 2012

My story

I felt like getting all up close and personal today after a commenter asked me about my own offers etc... If you really do just want to know what GCSE's you need - LOOK AT POSTS BELOW
If you want to know about my little life, well read on

I've gone about getting into Medicine a bit of weird route, so I shall bullet point:
  • Last year, when I was in A2, I got offers YAY
  • August rolled on, missed my A in Chemistry by a few UMS - got A*AB overall
  • Begged and pleaded down the phone, but nope they were having none of it
  • After a few agonising weeks of shittyness, I decided to take my reserve offer of Biomed
  • Got to Uni and decided that, whilst the course was fascinating, I still wanted to do Medicine
  • Re-applied in October 2011 as a re-sit applicant at University (there really aren't many places you can apply)
  • Continued on my biomed course, really enjoying it - great teaching, great Uni, wonderful friends, societies etc - I genuinely thought I would get straight rejections, the chances of an offer seemed so slim
  • AN INTERVIEW - January 2012 - so shocked, literally couldn't believe it
  • AN OFFER - January 2012, from a different Uni - I almost started crying on the phone to my Mum
  • Really kicked Chemistry revision into high gear
  • Resat Chem5 (today 1St Feb 2012)
So that's my story really! I'm still on my Biomed course here at Uni, I'm going to ask for a transfer to Medicine at the end of the year, but if I don't get that (and get my A in Chemistry) I will be off

Please don't miss your grades haha, it was horrific, probably one of the worst months of my life. You will feel embarrassed, like you have let everyone down (Mum) and mostly you hate yourself a little bit, because what kind of f*cking IDIOT gives up the chance to do what they desperately want to do.
I tried to put on a front for my friends etc who didn't really understand what it means to give up Medicine when you have put so much hard work into getting there. They thought Biomed was the same and didn't get the fuss, I never explained.
It has taken me a longer time (and I mean months) to come to terms with the fact I missed my grades, I KNOW this sounds ridiculous and melodramatic, but just 3 years of hard work wasted on one exam. I spent ages feeling confused and lost and sad.

ANYHOW, at the moment I feel super positive about everything, it's kind of all turned out to be a silver lining situation.
I've had all the greatness of being a fresher at Uni; the friends, the independence, the nights out, the societies instead of being stuck at home on a Gap Yah missing all my friends and not making many new ones, stalking their photos while I'm working full time with my whole LIFE being about Medicine.
And now I have an offer!! :D
I think I'm going to take my student loan for 3rd term, drop out, and bugger off travelling.

Essentially meaning, I'm going to have the experience of freshers at uni (on a less demanding course), a gap year with all the travelling and none of the work, AND get to do medicine at the end of it!
Despite this, PLEASE DON'T TAKE THE ROUTE I TOOK hahaha
I'm still making sacrifices: I'm going to have leave all my friends, sports etc behind, and go through the whole "getting to know" people process again :S I'm loosing all my security
I've also already signed for a house, meaning I'm losing a hefty deposit

I feel like I've grown up a lot, my perspective on life has changed a lot, and ultimately while it was a slightly unpleasant experience, it was probably one of the most important ones I've had so far (well educationally anyway...)

Anyways, enough poignant stuff, back to analysing all of your GCSE grades.....

Good luck my bambinis!
If you have any questions, post below and I will try my best to answer them


4 comments:

  1. Wait wait, so you went on to do your Biomed degree whilst you applied for Medicine? Is that possible?? :O I didn't think it was! Also how did you get in extra work experience? How did you change your application? I got 4 rejection this year, not sure whether to take a gap year or do Biological sciences degree :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would strongly recommend re-applying instead of taking the route I did; I was confused and kinda sad for a couple of months, and while you're at Uni the torture of seeing all the medics (and being jealous) with realising a biomed degree is not the course for you is only bearable if you are SURE you are happy being a scientist. Also most people on biomed courses want to do grad med, or at least applied to Medicine in the first place, and have now convinced themselves it isn't for them, which can get a bit depressing.

    Yes it is possible, you just apply through UCAS as normal. I did extra volunteering at Uni which I wrote about, and I commented on how re-sitting chemistry and doing a biomed degree would make me a better student in my PS. But otherwise it was all similar to my first application.

    Applying whilst at Uni severely restricts where you can apply, and if you haven't got in first time round you seriously need to re-assess your application and improve.
    I had got offers in my first cycle so I knew my application was, at the least, passable to some unis.

    Loads of successful people need a gap year to get in, so no worries! :) It gives you time to improve and mature etccc, and it could be fun.
    Good luck with whatever you decide, and I'm really sorry you didn't get any offers this time round :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I just wanted ask if medicine is a likely career for me as my gcses didnt go as presdicted. I sat my gcse's from the age of 13 and I got an A in maths, 4 B's in science, bio, chem, English and I have 2 gcse's left on which im awaiting results for.... I've chose to study maths/chem/bio/economics at AS. What do you think? Is it worth the effort?

    ReplyDelete

Writing nice things